Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2016

Star Wars Review


     After a long wait and a lot of anticipation, I finally got to witness the new Star Wars movie (The Force Awakens). I've been so excited since I've been a fan since I was a little kid and always imagined seeing a Star Wars movie in theaters. I've read a lot about George Lucas's ideas about what should happen and I hoped to see them turned into a movie.

     As I sat in the theater watching the movie, I was completely engrossed in the movie. It was exciting and adventurous with just the right amount of humor and nostalgia. It was clear that everyone around me was enjoying it too; applauding when an old character shows up, laughing at the humorous lines, and silent during the action. It definitely lived up to the hype.

     As I left the theater, I was chattering about it. I was saying how much I enjoyed the movie overall. However, I complained that the final scene was way too long. They could have easily shortened it. My biggest complaint though was the fact that it didn't follow the books. I was anxious to see the story I read about come to life in a movie but it didn't happen. The story in the books made so much more sense. In the books, Luke's son was named Ben, after Ben Kenobi, but in the movie Han and Leia's kid was named Ben. It made more sense that Luke names his son Ben since he was the one who actually knew Ben Kenobi. Also, in my opinion, Han and Leia had 3 kids in the books which is better then them only having one who is evil.

     One of the earlier people to watch the movie complained that there was no creativity. They just took the earlier movies and used the same format. I get what he's saying but I think they were right to keep the same Star Wars format. The movie was suppose to pick up where Return of the Jedi left off, just years later, and they did that. I think if they would have taken more risks by changing things, it would have gotten away from what makes Star Wars great.

     Overall, it was a good movie. I think that if I hadn't fell in love with the books then I would have loved the movie even more. I'm glad they made a great sequel with a great story and effects. Hopefully the 8th movie will be just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment